In order to connect your Android Device to Droid Transfer with a USB cable, you will firstly need to change some settings on your phone so that Droid Transfer will be able to communicate with the Transfer Companion app on your device.
Enabling Developer Mode on your Android device:
Firstly, you will need to enable Developer Mode on your device. To do this, please follow these instructions:
- Unlock your device and head to the devices settings, and select ‘About Phone’, ‘About Device’ or ‘About’.
- Locate ‘Build Number’, or ‘Build Version’ (This may be under a further sub-menu called "Software Information" or "Software Info" on certain devices.)
- Tap the ‘Build Number/Version’ five or six times (Yes, really…). Your device will display how many taps are required to enable Developer Mode. Once done, you will have now enabled Developer Mode on your device.
(Please note that if you already have Developer Mode enabled, your device will display ‘No need, you’re already a developer’)
- Go back to the main settings menu and scroll to the bottom. There will now be a new entry called ‘Developer Options’.
Enabling USB Debugging on your device:
Just a few more settings to change! You will need to enable USB debugging on your device so that Droid Transfer is able to communicate with the Transfer Companion app on your device.
To do this,
- Tap on ‘Developer Options’
- Make sure that ‘Developer Options’ is set to ON
- Scroll down to ‘USB Debugging’, and enable it
- Depending on the device you’re using, a window may appear on your device asking to verify that you want to enable USB Debugging. Click OK/Apply to allow USB Debugging to be enabled on your device.
You’ve now set up your device correctly in order for Droid Transfer to communicate with your device!
If you face any issues while connecting your device to Droid Transfer over USB, it may be beneficial for you to read our support article on troubleshooting the USB connection between Droid Transfer and your device. You can find the article here:
If you would like to find out how to connect your Android Device to Droid Transfer over your local WiFi network, please see our support guide here!