TouchCopy performs a device backup in order to read your iPhone data such as Message, Contacts etc. If this backup fails, you may find that TouchCopy gets stuck on creating an iPhone backup stage, or you get a backup fail error.
Firstly, please make sure that there is enough space for the iPhone backup on your computer.
This article provides a resolution for the following backup fail error messages in TouchCopy:
- Backup process returned error 1
- "Could not find BU EXE Path Null" error
- Snapshot Relocator Returned False error
Check out our further support support articles if you have the following issues
- TouchCopy is stuck while creating a backup of my device.
- TouchCopy is not displaying my iPhone messages, Contacts, Calendars or Notes
How to resolve "Backup process returned error 1" message or "Could not find BU EXE Path Null" error
To resolve this issue, please uninstall your current version of iTunes, then reinstall the program directly from Apple's website (rather than through Microsoft Store). Here's how it's done...
- Uninstall iTunes from your PC.
- On the iTunes download page, scroll down to 'Looking for other versions?' and click 'Windows'. Scrolling back up will now display a link to download iTunes directly rather than through the Microsoft Store.
Alternatively, you can download iTunes directly from the relevant link below:
- Once installed, launch TouchCopy and connect your device. TouchCopy should now be able to successfully perform a backup and proceed with loading your device's data.
How to resolve "Snapshot Relocator Returned False" error
If you receive this error, you can perform a normal iTunes backup of your device and then re-run TouchCopy to use that backup instead.
To create a new iTunes backup follow the steps below...
1. Run iTunes and connect your iPhone.
2. In iTunes click the device icon...
3. Click the "Back Up Now" button. This will start a backup of your device to your local PC.
4. Once complete, close iTunes and run TouchCopy.
5. Attempt to load your device data (e.g. Messages, Contacts etc) into TouchCopy.
6. If the backup fails - TouchCopy will display the error message again but this time there should be an option to use the backup you have created with iTunes. Click the "Yes, use older backup" button.
7. Your data should load into TouchCopy as usual.
If this still fails for you - please contact our support team for further assistance - noting the error message reported in orange.